Friday 1 April 2011

The value of a mum in cash terms is £?

WE'RE VERY HAPPY TO HAVE A VISIT FROM BECKY FROM BABYBUDGETING.CO.UK WHO IS OUR GUEST BLOGGER TODAY.
HERE'S WHAT BECKY HAS TO SAY:

Hi I'm Becky and I blog over at Baby Budgeting (www.babybudgeting.co.uk) a 
website for families trying to be savvy with their finances. I am also the 
author of How to afford timeoff with your baby (Vermilion 09)I am a  stay at 
home mum and freelance writer and I do everything around the home. I should 
be a rich womn apparently!

Legal & General have just released some research which finds that the unpaid 
work a Mum does around the home would cost £30,032 to replace (and the 
equivalent for a Dad would cost £21,306).

Here are some more nuggets ( to be used when you need them!) from the 
“Value of a Mum” survey :

-       Despite many Mums working they still spend an extra nine hours a 
week with the children compared to Dads.

-       Mums are still feeling that the burden of looking after the home 
falls to them, with 45% wishing that their partners would do more to help 
with housework and childcare.

-       Even those mums who have part-time jobs don’t hugely reduce the 
amount of time dedicated to parenting – the value of part-time worker mums 
is £28,664 compared to the value of those who don’t work, £31,523

-       The day to day costs of looking after children have gone up 8.3% 
over the last two years, rising from £132 a week to £143 and a massive 31% 
since 1999 when the figure was £109.

Mums do really important unpaid work around the home and they are 
increasingly combining this with a full or part-time job, which means that 
their families are getting pretty good value for their efforts!

The research highlights just how easy it is to underestimate the value of 
the unpaid work parents do and the importance of planning for a future where 
one parent may be unable to work due to illness or bereavement.  It shows 
that 42% of mums and dads feel people should have financial protection in 
place in case anything were to happen to them, but in reality only a quarter 
(24%) of them actually do.



So where’s my 30k then?


Has anyone seen it...?



THANKS BECKY.
DON'T FORGET TO POP OVER TO HER SITE FOR LOTS OF FAMILY FINANCE TIPS

1 comment:

  1. I find this really interesting. We've just 'sorted' out our life insurance and if I die we have term cover and then a certain amount paid every month until the children are 21. If I'm sick, terminally ill I would find it difficult to get appropriate cover because I don't get paid.

    God I'd love my pre kids £30k salary hittinh my bank account every month for all the work I do!!! ha!

    ReplyDelete

Please note we do not accept comments from anonymous users.